Saturday, October 24, 2009

Super (busy) Saturday

We got up a bit early this morning so Joisan and I could be ready to go when Hiro got here. Hiro drove for us and got us where we were going without any difficulty. The route we took was one we haven't been on before and it was spectacular! I would love to have gone that way two weeks ago when the trees still had leaves. I'm sure that it will be gorgeous in the spring too! The road gets closed every winter. Hiro said that the government doesn't have enough money to keep it plowed and it is an unnecessary road since it is really just a shortcut. Beautiful, but just a shortcut.
The speech contest was really a recitation contest - the kids didn't write the speeches. The student from Tatsunan who I've been helping came in 2nd. She spoke well and clearly and she made some changes based on my coaching so I felt good about that. She will be going (along with the first place winner) to the next level of the contest in Sapporo in November so I guess I'll get to keep working with her. I've got to figure out how to get her to say 'year' instead of 'ear'. Ideas anyone?!?
After the contest we made a quick stop at a high school in Muroran where the English teacher (a man from Winnipeg) wanted to meet me. He seems very nice and I think there's a tentative plan for him to call us the next time he and his family are coming to Ohtaki which they apparantly do regularly. We then checked out a couple of shops in Muroran (which is much bigger than Date) before heading back to Date for a late lunch. We ate at a restaurant called Bocca which had the Japanese version of Italian food. It was yummy! We got Joisan to dance and Hiro and I went shopping for supplies for the Halloween party. We went for a quick grocery shop before heading back to pick up Joisan. The dance teacher wants Joisan to try the toe shoes they have here instead of the ones we brought. They are totally flat across the toe and she thinks it would be easier for Joisan to learn on them. I'm a little torn - I think it would be good for her to build the strength in her feet and ankles and doing it with "training wheels" may be better for now. On the other hand, it may be better in the long run for her to get used to the more advanced shoe right from the beginning. I'm thinking that one of the reasons they focus on getting the dancers on pointe so early is that they have these easier shoes to do it with. Anyway, in the long run I am sure that Joisan is going to learn so much! Three two hour classes per week with the dancers they have at the level that they're working is going to be soooo good for her!
When we got home Ian had everything all prepared for a yummy tempura dinner. He did squid and prawns and veggies and YUM! It took a while and he was cooking pretty much throughout the meal but it was really good. Hiro had picked up some desserts at the Posful and after the dishes were done we tucked into those. Afterwards we played a few games and then Hiro went home and the kids went to bed.
Tomorrow is a do-nothing day (at least at this point) and I'm looking forward to getting myself organized for the busy week to come. I will be keeping my Skype on as much as possible and hopefully will catch some of you for a chat.

1 comment:

  1. Hi all,
    I will watch for your Skype on Sunday (ours). We enjoy your bloggs. Hope Taran is doing better today.
    Katie & Graham

    ReplyDelete