Monday, October 5, 2009

Off and running!

So today I drove - on the wrong side of the rode - all the way to Date City and back! I signaled with my wipers only once and managed to always turn into the correct lane - I deserve a medal!!! Yay me!!! I had (quiet) company all the way there and back as Kabara-san accompanied me to show me the way (and check on my driving!) Unfortunately he does not speak much English and I was fairly focused on the driving so there was not a lot of communicating going on except the occasional "left (pointing right) and "right" (pointing left)!
We got to the school and I met the principal and the teachers and then got right down to work -planning the class with the English teacher. She was very nice and encouraging. For the class I did a quick introduction of myself and talked about my family - mum, Wyatt and Aurora, you featured prominently in my introduction! After I finished speaking, the teacher asked the class (grade 9) comprehension questions and then set them to work making a question to ask me. They then had to introduce themselves and ask me their question. It was pretty fun and I enjoyed the process a lot. I hope the rest of my "first" classes go as well! After class finished the teacher asked me if I would listen to one of the students do a recitation she has been practicing for a contest. She already won the local level and is now preparing for the regionals and wanted some help with pronunciation. That was totally fun and right up my alley!
I got back to Ohtaki in time to have lunch with Ian and the kids. Then I was expected at the Ohtaki office at 2pm although I wasn't sure what I was going to be doing there. I arrived and they parked me at my desk with my computer and no idea how to spend my time. I poked around on the computer for a bit - looking at the files left by the previous AET and then got into the drawers where there is lots of stuff to go through. Hiro showed up to help me go through the paperwork that Kabara-san had for me and we got everything sorted out. He gave me the signature stamp that was ordered for me and I booked my Christmas holiday with him. Tomorrow I will be going around to the other schools / programs I will be working at and getting a handle on what I will be doing.
Tonight for dinner we had leftovers from our feast last night as well as some unidentified fish that Ian cooked. Yummy. Joisan had a bit of a pout though and slept through dinner - clearly jet lag is still an issue! Taran is also a bit testy tonight - in part perhaps because he is tired but also because of the pressure of having to do school work. This is going to be interesting!
Hopefully photos will come soon - Joisan is in control of the camera at the moment so we have to wait for her to be willing to do the upload.
More excitement tomorrow I'm sure. Take care all!

2 comments:

  1. This is bringing back memories! Amy and Alex were 5 and 3, respectively, and adjusting to the food was a huge challenge. Thankfully, Amy loves Japanese rice to this day, and Alex managed on cereals and apples, as I recall. And everybody loved the pancake mix - but did you notice how tiny the syrup bottles are?! I had to buy one a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm DEFINITELY in awe of you driving! The roads can be so narrow in town that the power mirrors on the side of the car have to fold inward so you can squeak by. Yikes! Well done!!!!

    ReplyDelete