Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday is laugh at Phaedra day!

So I went to the Tatsunan Junior High School this morning. It was the first time I have seen the 7th grade class so I was looking forward to it but they are a bunch of rotten kids! I was completely shocked by the behaviour that is accepted in the class - and in the school. There were kids hitting other kids and lots of calling out and talking back - I was completely exhausted by the time we were finished!
I got out of there as fast as I could and went to pick up a few things I needed for the Halloween party at the Chu gakko tomorrow. I stopped at the store and went to find sugar for the toffee apples we're going to make at the party. It took a few minutes but I found the sugar aisle and marvelled again at how difficult it is to buy anything in bulk here. I worked my way down the shelf looking at progressively bigger bags of sugar. I had settled on getting a few 1 kilo bags when I noticed a 5 kilo bag on the lowest shelf. I grabbed it and headed to the Chu gakko. Of course - when I proudly showed it to Naoko she burst out laughing and told me that I bought salt not sugar! Of course everyone who was in the staffroom had a good giggle at my expense. Naoko is going to pick up sugar tonight.
After school today I had the first afternoon program. It went really well - other than the fact that I went 45 minutes over the time I was supposed to keep them! I had a complicated craft planned - one that I would ordinarily have done over two sessions - but because it was a Halloween craft I was under a bit of a time crunch and needed to get it complete in one go. I have reflected upon the afternoon and made some big adjustments for tomorrows group. I have two more afternoon groups this week as well as the adult classes on Wednesday night. We still have some major planning and organizing to do for the Halloween party on Saturday and it seems like we won't get enough pumpkins. There are tons of the green, squash ones but it's been a bad year for the orange ones and we're having problems tracking some down. Oh well, it will all work out I'm sure. We'll just have to be resourseful.

2 comments:

  1. I guess we all have to live and learn. Better luck next time with your classes.

    Erika's pumpkin this year was 1015 lbs. She placed third in the contest in Nanaimo. Would that impress your students?

    Have my two boys at home with H1N1. They are not really that sick but we are keeping a close eye on them.

    Miss you guys...I need help with my crosswords.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's boggling, isn't it - shopping - when you consider the excess we have over here! I still marvel at it (reverse culture shock still). And Happy Belated Halloween! We were sure thinking of you guys, sharing a taste of home with everyone. Way to go!!! We will be praying for you for "accident prone" coverage :) and get well soon xoxox p.s. If you have time, check out our pictures & video on Facebook. Abby had a blast this year!
    Love Kim & family

    ReplyDelete