Tuesday, October 27, 2009

It runs in the family...

It was another busy day in Ohtaki today. I was busy busy all morning getting set up for the Chu gakko Halloween party. The students made a ton of decorations and Naoko and I got them all up on the wall along with a few decorations that she bought at the 100 yen shop. It looked great! We gathered all the apples we needed as well as the ingredients for the toffee. I had to give the apples a good scrub as they seemed to be coated in wax and I was afraid the toffee wouldn't stick.
Today's lunch was really good but not Joisan-friendly so she ran upstairs to get her extra stuff from her bag. After a while I noticed that she hadn't come back to the cafeteria so I went looking for her. I found her heading to the nurses office - hopping on one foot. She was heading back from getting her lunch when she fell down the stairs and heard something go 'crack'. Her foot is pretty swollen and she can't put any weight on it so Ian gets to make another trip to the hospital tomorrow to get it x-rayed. Lucky him! Joisan really wants it to be fine but she's clearly in a lot of pain. There was a bit of teasing in the staffroom about the accident prone Fairwells! Anyway, the principal made her a 'boot' out of cardboard that helped to keep it stable.
During the last period we had the Halloween party. Joisan was a little 'ho-hum' about it because of course she's used to the pumpkin-carving thing, but the students loved it! They had a great time and got totally into it! Unfortunately the toffee didn't work as well as I'd hoped - it took a long time and never really got as candy-like as I wanted. The kids enjoyed doing it and I'm sure they'll enjoy eating them. I kept them in the Home Ec room overnight in hopes that when it cooled down it got harder. We'll see.
I had the second after school program this afternoon and with all the extra prep I did yesterday it went really well. We got through the whole craft and it went really well. I'm looking forward to the last one on Thursday and then I'll pick a new activity for next week. Tomorrow is the Warashibe again and then the first adult conversation classes.
Tonight was our official Welcome Party with the Friendship Club. Thankfully it was here at the guesthouse as there was a fair amount of drinking and I wouldn't have wanted to be driving! They had a bunch of sushi delivered and brought some other stuff to fill out the meal. There was about 20 or 25 people and it was a hoot! Hiro got totally drunk and was a riot! Ian wound up going with a couple of the men to sing Karaoke! He's still not back yet and may not actually come home! It sounded like they were 'borrowing' him for the night!
Anyway, it's late. It's my Mum's birthday today so I'm just going to give her a quick phone call and go to bed. Good night! Happy Birthday Mum!

No comments:

Post a Comment