Monday, April 12, 2010

Zzzoooom! That week went fast!

I'm struggling with getting enough time to do all the things I think I should be doing - including getting this blog done!
Last week was a bit busy with the welcome ceremonies and parties and general beginning of the year stuff. We started on Tuesday morning with the opening ceremony for the school year where the new staff was welcomed. In the afternoon the new grade 1's arrived for their induction and welcome ceremony. I find it quite facinating to watch the formalities that are observed here. It was almost as big a deal as the graduation ceremony had been. It was on Tuesday that I really began to miss Hiro in ernest. She was the one who kept me informed about everything and made sure I knew what was expected of me. I know that Naoko is now a classroom teacher and has many things on her mind but there were some bits and pieces slipping through the cracks. Taran and Joisan missed the bus on Tuesday morning because we were not told that it would be 20 minutes early. I didn't know what to say during an important part of the welcome ceremony because no one told me that there was a point at which I'd have to speak. Anyway, I'm sure it will get better but I was really depressed about it at the time.
On Wednesday I went to the Shogakko (elementary school) and watched the welcome ceremony there as well as the induction of all the new grade ones. I had taught all but one of them at the kindergarten so it was really cool to see the ceremony. It was also interesting to note that all of the students sat quietly and respectfully throughout the ceremony. The school culture here is definately different than in BC in terms of what is demanded in the way of student behaviour.
On Wednesday afternoon the principal of the Jr. High informed me that a meeting had been arranged for Friday afternoon when I would meet with some representatives of the Date School Board. They wanted to ask me to take on some more work - to add another Chugakko to my list of duties. I was not thrilled about the idea but at least I had time to think about it.
So, we had the meeting and they want me to do two days a week at Date Chu. It had over 1500 students and 4 English teachers. It is a bit overwhelming to think about but I figured that it's worth a try. I told them I would do it but they would have to give me some extra gas. (I wanted to ask for more money too but I didn't quite know how to go about that!)
I won't be going to Tatsunan after next week which is a bit of a bummer since I really liked some of those students and was looking forward to having them from the beginning to the end of the school year!
We had a few sunny days that made me think that spring was on its way but the weather patterns here are a little fickle and now I'm not so sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment