Saturday, April 24, 2010

Trying for a new posting format...

So I saw someone else's blog where they just embeded the photos and videos into the blog posts and I thought I'd try it. Unfortunately the videos didn't upload at all. I've posted them on Facebook though so check them out! There's one of Taran speaking Japanese at the welcome party for the new grade ones a couple of weeks ago. The second one is pretty cool - Taran's class did a bit of a dance to Thriller!
I have just uploaded a couple of new photo shares too so check them out!

Last week Taran made a new invention... I think that Apple will be after him for the rights to it any day now! He has to walk to the school on Wednesday nights for soccer so he built a contraption that would hold his iPod in front of his face so he could watch a movie while he walks! Here are some photos... (I think we'll call it the iWatch!)





The movie night on Friday was fun. We had some time to kill while Joisan was at her dance class so Ian and I did a bit of poking around in various shops in Muroran. We left Taran and Saya at the "mall" to have a chance to be without the parents for a bit. After we picked up Joisan from her ballet class we headed for the movie theatre. Here are a couple of photos of Taran and Saya at the theatre...


Yesterday I went into Date for the adult conversation class that has just been started. It was our second meeting and although it was less of a structured class than I think they really want, I was quite comfortable with it. They are a really nice group of women and I enjoyed talking with them very much.

The end of next week is the start of Golden Week here and we're still deliberating about what we're going to do... there are many interesting things that are close enough to make day trips but I'm also interested in the possiblity of going somewhat further afield. We'll see. No matter what we'll take some good photos and keep as up to date here as we can.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Phaedra! Your stories remind me about one of the main cultural differences I kept running into as well. The Japanese appear to appreciate "carefully scripted" content and activities - I guess it's so everyone can be on board and acting in unity. Whereas, in Canada, we value individual expression and the freedom to "just play it by ear". I still giggle, trying to explain that idiom to my Japanese friends! "You mean, there really isn't a plan? You just see what happens when you get there? But that's just so, well... irresponsible!!!" hahahaha It's funny, though, experiencing reverse culture shock back in Canada. Sometimes things really are just too un-thought-out here! :) Enjoy this opportunity and know you are being VERY sympathized with here. Love, Kim and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. LOVE the pictures!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete