Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Rough Weekend

So, it was a good thing that our weekend was scheduled to be low-key anyway as we got some difficult news. Our cat Minuet (who is living in Mill Bay with my mother) was not doing well. She has been ailing on and off for more than a year and we were actually a little surprised when she lived through last summer and even made it to Christmas. This time though she was clearly on her way out.
On Saturday Mum held her in front of the computer for us so we could tell her how much we loved her and say goodbye. She seemed to be a little zoned out at the time but she didn't appear to be in any pain. On Sunday she was a bit more with-it and seemed to respond when we talked to her. Monday morning (Sunday afternoon in Canada) Mum reported that she wasn't in any pain but couldn't walk and wouldn't eat - though she was still holding on - but just at dinner time at the weekly Sunday dinner when all the family was there Minuet died. It was just after lunch time on Monday here when I got the email and I was a big mess. It made for a rough start to the week. My mum is awesome. She took such good care of Minuet and then she took her and burried her at our house. It's still a little unreal to know that she's gone. And I feel really guilty for not being able to be there with her. I'm sure Brody (Joisan's cat) is having some difficulty adjusting but I know that Mum is loading lots of love and attention on him.
Monday night I was feeling quite down so I decided I needed a pick-me-up. While Joisan did ballet in Date Naoko and I met with Mayu (the translator from City Hall) and one of her friends and we went to a Karaoke place. We got our own little room with a karaoke machine and for one price we could choose what we wanted to eat and drink and we could play in there for two hours! It was lots of fun! Just what I needed.
This week Joisan is participating in a sort of Master Class for ballet. There is a Russian teacher who has come for the week and she is doing daily classes in Muroran. Joisan has opted to only do four classes rather than the full slot of six and she has decided to do just the classical class not the character as well but it is still going to keep us hopping all week! Muroran is about 20 minutes past Date so I'm really glad she's not doing the character because it would be 10:30pm or later before we would get home! It's going to be a looong week!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Fairwells!!! I'm spending some time this morning getting caught up on all your wonderfilled posts... I also just want to say again (Facebooked also) that I share your loss of your beloved pet. I have a huge ache in my heart for our my bunnies that got killed so suddenly, and the ones we had to save by releasing (at the Mill Bay storage unit's warren!) and having to put down our ailing remaining lovebird who was 17! We are now a "no pets" zone, and it's very quiet. Too quiet! Except for Abby that is... she's got enough bounce and energy and GAB to fill several houses!!! She's set up on Cam's computer right now, watching video looped snippets from Nick Jr. (Dora, Diego, etc.) That's how we can both be happy while Mommy's on her computer :) But she's a "big help" around the house. Pretty soon we're about to bake Daddy's favourite breakfast muffins so he has them for tomorrow, and some banana bread. We had a big Ice Cream Social (because we ARE the sprinkles capital of Shawnigan Lake!) at our house on Sunday. I've made smoothie popsicles and now banana bread with the leftover fruit :) Today there's a Mother's Day tea at the preschool. Abby's going one day a week, since Feb, on Tues afternoons! She's almost reading, it's amazing. She can do complicated puzzles and games too. The kids are really enjoying her. While Amy's at dance today, she's going to the park with her brother Alex. It's the FIRST really warm and sunny day that we've had in a long while. Enjoy your day too!!!! Love, Kim and family

    ReplyDelete