Friday, December 18, 2009

Ian wanted to join the "in" crowd

So aparently having two children on crutches wasn't enough for Ian - he wanted a turn too! I think we must really look like a crazy Canuck family - three out of the four of us have been damaged! I am watching my step very carefully now! Last night Ian was playing badminton and he ruptured his achillies tendon. The damage is about 3 inches above where the tendon attaches to the heel. I took him to Date (in the snow - winter has finally arrived in full force) to the hospital at 10pm last night and we were really lucky that their orthopedic guy had just come on shift. We hemmed and hawed for quite a while debating surgery vs. the conservative route. He said that they both have the same recovery speed and success rate after the first 6 months. Ian went for the conservative route and will now be in a cast for at least 3 months. Oh what fun! Anyway - we've cancelled the party tonight and I'm off to Date for some last minute shopping with the kids. I will be treading very carefully - I for one am not willing to miss any part of DisneyWorld!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe what luck you have had. Phaedra you had better be careful...at least that's three, maybe that's it? I used to have terrible trouble with my Achilles tendons too. Very painful but never to the point of rupture, I can't imagine what that felt like. Take care of yourselves, and hope to see you really soon.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sucksmith Family said...
    I finally have the computer working again and have been able to catch up. I am sorry to hear about Ian. Everyone take care and hope to see you soon.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete