Sunday, May 16, 2010

Surprise!

This is one of Joisan's class photos from this year... I had it on the computer so I thought I'd include it. (You can click on any of the photos to make them bigger.)


We had a fun week here... it was a little busy though. On Monday my plan was to go to Karaoke with Naoko and Mayu while Joisan danced but Naoko couldn't come and Mayu and I decided to postpone the Karaoke and just go for tea! Afterwards we went to the arcade and used one of these awesome photo booths they have here. For 400 yen you can take a whole bunch of poses, then pick the ones you want and decorate them! Here are the results of my photoshoot with Mayu!!


As I mentioned in the previous post, Joisan's class met the 2000 Olympic gold medal marathon winner on Tuesday... here is another photo...


On Friday night we were invited to join Ato san at his mothers restaurant to taste test the gyozas she is going to be making to sell. We were not sure if it was really dinner or just a tasting snack so we had some curry rice before we went and then of course it turned out to be a full meal. It was sooo very good though and we all stuffed ourselves! Joisan had been trying out the Otaki dance class but found that it is not really very challenging so we're not sure if she'll be going back to it or not. It's a shame really, because we don't have to drive 40 minutes each way to get there! Oh well. After we finished eating, Ato san and Misuzu came back to our place and we played a friendly game of poker.

All week I was busy planning and organizing things for Ian's birthday on Saturday. I had taken Joisan on a secret trip to Tomokomai on Mother's Day while Ian was otherwise occupied so that she could pick up this fabulous gift for her and Taran to present to their father on his special day!

Joisan had it all set up for him so when he got up in the morning to use the bathroom there it was! Ian has decided we need to have a family tournament now! So... another reason to plan a visit... the Fireball Invitational Potty Putter Golf Tournament... and you're all invited!!!

I arranged to buy Ian a guitar for his birthday since he's been looking and looking for one since we got back at Christmas time. Luckily for me he's been too afraid to buy one for himself without some guidance because it made for a perfect birthday gift. One of the teachers at the school has more than 50 guitars and he was quite happy to sell me one at a really good price. Here is Ian opening it...

In Tomokomai I also found some very strange toothpastes and bought a few for novelty gifts. Ian got curry flavor and pumpkin pudding! He also got a package of meat flavoured toffee. FYI - it's marginally better than the beer flavoured toffee! (that's not saying much!)


Somehow, even with all the time Ian spent with Ato san this week, everyone managed to keep the surprise birthday party under wraps! I used the "I'm going to cook you dinner" excuse to send Ian into Date for the ballet run on Saturday and Taran and I quickly cleaned and set up and decorated for the party. I had invited about 28 people but only about 20 showed up. Ian and Joisan unfortunately got caught up in some stuff that delayed them in Date but everyone waited very patiently and eventually they made it - about 1/2 an hour later than I had anticipated. Ian was completely surprised and thoroughly enjoyed himself. Here's a couple of photos from the party... the cake was all natural and egg and dairy free. It was made by my friend Natsumi who has a small baking business. It was wonderful!



There's a few things planned for next week - including Rianna's farewell party and possibly a Sakura Matsuri (cherry blossom festival). The cherry trees in Otaki are not blooming yet but the ones in Date are starting now. It's gorgeous! Photos next week - I promise!

1 comment:

  1. I'm SOOO glad you have blossoms now!!! Hanami is a very magical time ;) Ours have already snowed pink blossoms - you know the one in front of Discovery? yep The rhodos are all putting on their show now. We went to Beacon Hill Park for the baby goats and the flowers, for a Mother's Day picnic. Abby was the official "bubble catcher" at the playground! We had a bunch of kids entertained with that. Speaking of ENTERTAINMENT, your observations are hilarious!!! Gotta love those weird flavours. Amy and I still are hooked on anything "matcha" - I was making matcha flavoured chiffon cakes here until my powder ran out. Gotta do another Japanese food supply run to Fujiya in Victoria. I also totally love going to Aberdeen Mall in Richmond - it's like stepping into an Asian shopping experience, including my all time favourite trinket shop, the hyaku-yen shop, DAISO. I'm trying to talk Cam into a stop there this summer, on his new motorcycle. Trouble is, I'd have way too much stuff to bring back on a bike!!! NICE SHOES Joisan! Kawaii Kitty-chan ne? Glad to hear Ian got a "real" guitar... Cam bought a collapsible electric one while he was there. The curving sides are wire bars that pop off the main stick body! Packs pretty small but looks totally weird! LOVE your photo booth shots. We could have fun with one of those at Mason's, and the SLS students, eh? Let's see how many business ideas we can import back to Shawnigan! They sure need help filling their retail space here... (haha) Kim

    ReplyDelete