Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Saying goodbye to Hiro (sob sob)

The office retirement party last Friday was okay but not nearly as much fun as the teachers parties. We went to the local hotel for the dinner and toasting but I felt really out of it since there were not many people there who spoke any English. One of the women at my table tried as much as she could to talk with me but I still felt awkward. I really need to work harder at the learning Japanese thing. I swear though, it goes in and then falls right out! Anyway, I was glad that I went because Kabara-san seemed happy to see me and the principal of the kindergarten was also retiring so I got to wish her well also. I was able to meet Takemura-san who will be replacing Kabara-san but I didn't get much of an idea of his personality or his English abilities. I took the early bus home rather than stay for Karaoke. Maybe next time!
The weekend was mostly the usual. Joisan had ballet on Saturday and we went into Date on Sunday to get some dance gear at a big sale that her ballet school had sponsored. Unfortunately, when we got to Date we found that the sale was actually being held in Muroran so we had to high-tail it so we could get still get everything done that we needed to do. I had never actually been to the Muroran studio so of course we got well and truly lost! It took about 45 minutes of driving around and asking for directions before we finally found the place! We found a pair of toe shoes at the sale and then on our way out we poked our heads in to the office to say goodbye to the dance teacher. She pulled us in and then proceeded to do an exchange of Joisan's old toe shoes for another pair of new ones. It was a bit weird since she took back the ones Joisan has been wearing for the last two months at full value and for that we got another new pair of toe shoes, a pair of toe guards and 270 Yen. I have no idea what she will do with the used shoes or how she can afford to give us all that stuff! She also gifted Joisan with a new pair of ballet slippers! Weird!
Anyway, we booted it back home as fast as we could because Ian had invited Joisan's friend Akari and her family for dinner. The dad was not able to come but the mum came and so did Akari's two sisters. I made a yummy tomato-clam sauce with fresh clams for our spaghetti while everyone else went out to play in the snow. We all enjoyed ourselves very much.
Monday and Tuesday for me were all about hanging out at the school and helping Hiro when I could. She had an awful lot of stuff to pack and organize. Yesterday she had a little work party help her to pack the stuff from her house into the rail container that is being sent with all her stuff in it.
Today we moved desks around in the office so I have a new home by Chinami (nurse), Yuki (dietitian) and Kayo (J's homeroom teacher). Hiro came in and dropped off her key and then headed out for some last minute stuff. Everyone gathered at her house around 2pm to see her off. She is now gone.
When we got back to the Chugakko I worked at my desk using Hiro's computer rather than having to come into the conference room. It's a total bummer that I don't get a computer at my desk. It means I spend a lot of time moving stuff back and forth from one computer to another. Ugh.
Ian and the kids had gone off to pick up Chinami's boys and go bowling in Muroran. Chinami took Naoko and I home with her after school and we all met at Chinami's house for Okonomiyaki and Takoyaki. It was yummy and fun but unfortunately I had to leave to go back to Otaki for the adult class. Ian and Naoko and the kids weren't ready to go yet so I booted it back by myself - breaking some land-speed records I think - and did the adult classes and then went back to Date to pick them up. It was a long and emotional day.

No comments:

Post a Comment